The Association of College English Teachers of Alabama
(ACETA) issues a Call for Papers:
The 2017 Mary Evelyn McMillan Undergraduate Writing Award
Deadline (Postmark or Email): November 14, 2016
The McMillan Award is presented annually to the undergraduate student at an Alabama college or university whose informal essay is judged most outstanding by a panel of judges chosen by ACETA.
- The essay must have been written for a class taken during the current or previous academic year.
- It may be descriptive, reflective, or analytical, but it may not be a formal research paper.
- It must not exceed 2000 words.
- It must not have been published previously except possibly in campus publications such as college newspapers or literary magazines.
- The English instructor for whose class the essay was written should submit the essay. An instructor may submit only one essay in each year’s competition.
- A cover sheet should be attached to the entry stating the title of the essay, the author’s name, the name of the college or university, and the name and title of the nominator, with address, telephone number, and email address. No name should appear on the essay.
The winner will receive a cash award of $150 and will read the paper at ACETA’s annual conference at Auburn University at Montgomery on March 3-4, 2017.
Email entries to:
Anissa Graham at firstname.lastname@example.org (electronic submissions encouraged).
Mail entries to:
Anissa Graham, ACETA Executive Secretary
University of North Alabama
Florence, Alabama 35632
The McMillan Award honors the memory of Dr. Mary Evelyn McMillan, charter member of ACETA and longtime faculty member at Jacksonville State University, for her deep commitment to her students and to the teaching profession. It is given from funds her family has generously made available.