The Association of College English Teachers of Alabama (ACETA) announces
A Call for Papers for
Deadline (Postmark or Email): December 13, 2019
The McMillan Award is presented annually to the undergraduate student at an Alabama college or university whose informal essay is judged most outstanding by a panel of judges chosen by ACETA.
- The essay must have been written for a class taken during the current or previous academic year.
- It may be descriptive, reflective, or analytical, but it may not be a formal research paper.
- It must not exceed 2000 words.
- It must not have been published previously except possibly in campus publications such as college newspapers or literary magazines.
- The English instructor for whose class the essay was written should submit the essay. An instructor may submit only one essay in each year’s competition.
- A cover sheet should be attached to the entry stating the title of the essay, the author’s name, the name of the college or university, and the name and title of the nominator, with address, telephone number, and email address. No name should appear on the essay.
The winner will receive a cash award of $150 and will read the paper at ACETA’s annual conference at the University of North Alabama in Florence, Alabama in the spring of 2020.
Email entries with the subject line “McMillan Award” to Ashley Kitchens no later than December 13, 2019 at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mail entries to:
Ashley Kitchens, ACETA Executive Secretary
Jefferson State Community College
1850 Lay Dam Road
Clanton, Alabama 35045
The McMillan Award honors the memory of Dr. Mary Evelyn McMillan, charter member of ACETA and longtime faculty member at Jacksonville State University, for her deep commitment to her students and to the teaching profession. It is given from funds her family has generously made available.